Everything You Need to Know About Botox Cosmetic From Still SLC
Botox Cosmetic is a prescription medicine that is injected into the muscles of the face. It’s intended to temporarily diminish the appearance of lines in the face, specifically on the forehead, between the eyebrows, around the eyes, and the mouth. Botox Cosmetic helps you look like you, but with less noticeable wrinkles and lines.
What’s the Difference Between Botox and Botox Cosmetic?
Botox injections are FDA-approved to treat wrinkles and lines, as well as spastic disorders such as muscle twitches or temporomandibular (TMJ) disorder. Botox Cosmetic is FDA-approved to treat wrinkles and lines on the face.
- Botox Cosmetic is the #1 selling treatment of its kind.
- It’s the first and only treatment FDA-approved to temporarily make moderate-to-severe frown lines, crow’s feet, and forehead lines look better in both women and men.
- It delivers predictable, subtle results, so you look like a refreshed version of yourself.
What Botox Cosmetic Treats
A combination of factors causes facial lines. It’s not just about the cellular changes that occur in our bodies, the reduced production of collagen, or damage caused by free radicals in the environment.
Repeated muscle contractions in our faces, such as frowning, squinting, raising eyebrows, etc… cause the skin to furrow and fold. Gradually, facial lines form on our foreheads, at the corners of our eyes, and around our mouths. Botox Cosmetic works beneath the surface to temporarily reduce the muscle activity that causes frown lines, crow’s feet, and forehead lines. Freezing the muscles helps the skin look visibly smoother.
What to Expect at Your Botox Cosmetic Procedure
Depending on how many units you’re having injected, you can expect to spend less than 30 minutes at your appointment.
- The areas to be injected are first cleaned with alcohol.
- A thin needle is used to inject the specified units of Botox Cosmetic into your skin or muscle.
- The number of injections used is determined by the area that will be treated, as well as the desired outcome.
- Topical numbing cream can be used, as well as ice packs to help reduce sensation during the injection(s).
Learn More About Botox
Read Time Magazine’s article: Botox: The Drug That’s Treating Everything
Medical News Today: Botox: cosmetic and medical uses
Will My Face Look Overdone or Frozen After Botox Injections?
Botox Cosmetic is a technique-sensitive treatment. You can trust Botox Cosmetic to deliver subtle results when it is administered by someone who is licensed, trained, and a medical expert in facial anatomy. When you come to Still, you’ll still look like yourself after Botox, only with less noticeable lines. No one should be able to tell you’ve had anything done.
Botox Cosmetic Recovery
Since this is a non-invasive procedure, you should require minimal downtime after your Botox Cosmetic injection(s). Most clients return to their daily routine immediately after leaving our office.
Following the injection(s), you should start to see results within the first 48 hours. The full effect of the procedure will be visible in 10-14 days.
What Are Common Side Effects of Botox?
Most patients have little “bee” stings in the area of injections for about 10 minutes. Then the swelling goes down and the welts go away on their own. You can also experience some pinpoint bruising. Others have described a heavy or headache feeling the day of being injected. This usually resolves within 24-48 hours.
Other side effects found in clinical studies include:
- Three percent of patients experienced eyelid drooping in the frown lines studies
- One percent of patients experienced eyelid swelling in the crow’s feet studies
- One percent of patients experienced brow drooping in the forehead lines studies
Other possible side effects include:
- Allergic reactions
- Blurred vision
- Decreased eyesight
- Discomfort or pain at the injection site
- Double vision
- Dry eyes
- Dry mouth
- Neck pain
How Long Does Botox Cosmetic Last?
Since Botox can be metabolized by the body (broken down), results typically last up to four months. To keep the appearance of severe lines and wrinkles at bay, it’s recommended to have Botox Cosmetic injected three to four times per year.
Is Botox Cosmetic Only for Women?
Not at all! Many men make Botox Cosmetic part of what they do to care for their appearance.
The number of men choosing treatments like Botox Cosmetic has risen fast – in the past three years alone, men have received over one million botulinum toxin treatments.
When surveyed, the majority of men say they want to look good and they’re bothered by the changes they see in the mirror. 80% would choose to treat their crow’s feet first, while 74% would prioritize their forehead lines, and 60% would most like to treat their frown lines.